The Guardian's Role
A Guardian is trained to…
- Recognize when members of the agricultural community are struggling with their mental health.
- Identify when someone is having thoughts of suicide and guide them towards appropriate mental health supports.
- Initiate conversations and confidently communicate with farmers who show signs of mental health distress.
- Connect farmers or their family members to regional mental health and crisis supports and resources.
- Maintain strict confidentiality.
- Set boundaries and have realistic expectations of their role.
- Access ongoing support specifically tailored to Guardians to ensure their own well-being.
A Guardian prioritizes their own well-being
and does NOT put themselves at risk of harm.
A Guardian does NOT act as a
therapist or counsellor.
A Guardian does NOT provide follow up
mental health care to community members.